Malay translation available here
Climate change manifests itself in many different ways throughout our economies, societies, and culture. It’s a pervasive issue that even leaks into our water availability, often with severe consequences. We witness more intense droughts, flooding, sea-level rise and coastal erosion, and life-threatening storms. Climate change impacts also have direct consequences on water security and conflict.
In light of this, we’re proud to partner with Internews Earth Journalism Network to develop a journalism masterclass to equip 14 journalists from across Southeast Asia with the knowledge, networks, and resources needed to understand and report on the climate and water nexus, through a regional and country-specific lens.
This is an open call for journalists in the Philippines, Malaysia, and Indonesia to pitch a story related to the climate and water nexus in your country. Your pitch will then be reviewed and you stand the chance of being selected to join a team of 14 journalists to take part in the Masterclass series.
The aim of this Masterclass series is to connect regional journalists interested in climate reporting, and link them to the leading experts across the region, to help them produce powerful local stories.
As a selected fellow, you will benefit from one-on-one mentoring, you’ll work on longform investigative stories, and collaborative storytelling that further explores the main theme of the fellowship.
SOUNDS GREAT! HOW DO I APPLY?
Before 30th May, head over to our application form here and submit your pitch! It’s really simple!
YOUR COMMITMENT AS A SELECTED FELLOW
Once selected, we will get the ball rolling really quickly!
Selected fellows will have to participate in group calls where they will receive training from our team as well as external experts who’ve agreed to come onboard.
Here’s a taste of what you’ll be jumping straight into:
- Training and mentorship to help build your understanding of the climate and water nexus and help you to create more impactful, holistic, and powerful stories
- Individual articles and collaborative stories
- Engagement with our communications and outreach team to create creative content to disseminate the stories you produce
Deadline to Apply: Monday 30th May, 2022
SOME PITCHING ADVICE
To help you give it your best shot, we’ve prepared this Pitching Guide for you!
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR IN OUR FELLOWS?
Ideal candidates will have:
- Be 18-35 years old
- 1 year of journalism experience minimum
- A hunger to improve as journalists – this is a learning experience
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do the selected journalists have to spend money for this master class?
- No money needed as you’d be fellows
- Will all mentoring be done online?
- Yes, this programme will be conducted entirely online
- Who will be the mentor?
- Four Water Experts will do the masterclass while mentorship will be done by an Indonesian, Malaysian, and Filipino editors
- How long will the masterclass run?
- There will be four Masterclasses spread throughout June-September, the fellowship is until October
The clock is ticking and we’re excited to review your submission!
If you have any questions or experience any difficulties with your application, feel free to contact us:
- Dizzanne Billy, from our Outreach Team, at email@example.com
- Chirag Gupta, Asia Community Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org
All the best!
And before you go, we’d love for you to join our communities: